Liturgical Music Ministries
What are Liturgical Music Ministries?
Liturgical Music has “…inner qualities that enable it to add greater depth to prayer, unity to the assembly, or dignity to the ritual.” ~ Sing to the Lord: Music in Divine Worship; US Conference of Catholic Bishops.
The music ministry at St. Katharine’s involves the efforts of many. The goal, of course, of music in worship is that everyone sings and loves to sing in praise of God. The Adult Choir sings on Sundays at the 9:30 Mass, September through June.
- Cantors lead the congregational singing from the ambo at each Mass.
- The Adult Choir sings at the 9:30 Mass three to four Sundays a month.
- Instrumentalists assist at many of the weekly Masses, particularly through the Cecilia Scholars program.
- The Children’s Choir (Grades K-6) singing at the 9:30 Mass one Sunday a month.
- The Youth (Teen) Choir (Grades 7-12) sings at the 6pm Mass one Sunday a month.
- Support Staff – dedicated people behind the scenes help make the music ministry run smoothly: clerical assistance includes sorting, filing, collating, and preparing mailings.
What are volunteers asked to do?
- Cantors lead the assembly in song at all parish liturgical celebrations. They rehearse with the Music Director according to their individual schedules and needs. A pleasant, clear voice, the ability to stand in front of the assembly, and good presence are necessary.
- Adult Choir meets on Tuesday evenings from 7:15 to 8:45 PM and sings at the 9:30 AM Mass on Sunday and at other important liturgies throughout the year. The ability to read music is helpful (but not required), and a love of music and liturgy is essential.
- Instrumentalists – primarily guitar, woodwind, brass, and string players – embellish the music of the liturgy. Both regular and occasional rehearsals are necessary.
- The Children’s Choir rehearses during the school day at the parish school. Rehearsal tracks are also provided by email to members that are not enrolled in the school, so that they may practice on their own and join the choir one Sunday a month for Mass.
- Youth (Teen) Choir rehearses at 4:30pm before the 6pm Mass one Sunday per month. Rehearsal tracks are also provided by email to members, so that they may practice on their own.