St. Martin de Porres Outreach
What is St. Martin de Porres Outreach?
St. Martin de Porres Parish, St. Katharine’s sister parish, is located at 24th and Lehigh Streets in Philadelphia. The Pastor is Father Addisalem Mekonnen who shepherds over 820 families. There are currently 460 children enrolled in the school (K-8) and the principal is Dr. Sean Murray.
The members of St. Katharine’s work in many ways throughout the year to help support the efforts of our sister parish:
- Parish feast days are celebrated together – SMDP comes to SKS in April for Mass and dinner and we visit them in October.
- Food drives for their food pantry are held in May through the Manna Bags and at our Thanksgiving Mass.
- At Christmas, our parishioners “adopt” St. Martin de Porres families and deliver gifts and all the fixings for Christmas dinner.
- Education of St. Martin de Porres children is assisted through our collection of school supplies for the children each Labor Day weekend and to replenish the teachers’ supplies in February.
- We celebrate Catholic Schools week together by having the 8th grade of SMDP come for a day of fellowship and games.
- Funds collected in our monthly Food drive (third Sunday of each month) are shared with St. Martin de Porres parish.
What are Volunteers and St. Katharine’s Parishioners asked to do?
Assist in gathering items during various collections and arranging delivery to SMDP. In the spring when SMDP visits us for Mass, we also cook dinner for everyone following the Saturday evening Mass. Additionally, we host a parish coffee that Sunday. This is our largest undertaking and we can use many hands!
Parishioners are asked to:
- Contribute to the Annual Appeal – Father Mekonnen and the St. Martin de Porres choir visit St. Katharine’s in late April for the Annual Appeal. Father Mekonnen speaks at all the weekend Masses, giving insight on the status, hopes and goals of his parish.
- Participate in the Christmas program:
- Food Basket – This is a box, available at St. Katharine’s in late November, that is filled with non-perishable items a family needs for Christmas dinner (perishable items are provided with the financial contributions).
- Adopt-a-Family – Parishioners provide gifts for each member of a St. Martin de Porres family that they “adopt”.
- Financial Contributions – a collection is taken around the end of November to purchase perishable items that are included in the food baskets.
How is it organized?
Maria Carrillo is Chairperson for the Outreach activities: Christmas Adopt-a-family Program, Fund Drive and Ongoing Support.